Arsenal stun Bayern Munich

first_imgLONDON (AP):Goals from Olivier Giroud and Mesut Ozil helped Arsenal end a run of two consecutive defeats in the Champions League with a morale-boosting 2-0 victory over Bayern Munich yesterday.Arsenal knew that victory in at least one of their next two matches against Bayern would be vital for advancing from Group F, and they managed to inflict a first defeat of the season on Pep Guardiola’s side.Arsenal now have three points in the group and are third after three matches, with Bayern staying top on six points. Olympiakos are second on goal difference with six points after beating Dinamo Zagreb 1-0.Substitute Giroud gave Arsenal the lead when he bundled the ball into the net in the 77th minute, after Manuel Neuer rushed off his line and failed to claim a free-kick into the penalty area from Santi Cazorla.Ozil sealed the win in stoppage time, converting a cross at the byline from Hector Bellerin. Neuer hooked the ball away, but only after it had crossed the line.Bayern controlled possession throughout the first half at the Emirates Stadium and Arsenal relied on saves from Petr Cech to deny Thiago Alcantara and Douglas Costa.Yet for all the German side’s dominance, it was Arsenal who went closest to taking the lead before halftime.Nacho Monreal delivered a precise cross from the left in the 33rd minute, finding Theo Walcott unmarked on the six-yard line.The striker flicked a header at goal, only for Neuer to make an astounding one-handed save to claw the ball off the line.Cech came to Arsenal’s rescue again in the second half, making an opening one-handed save when Robert Lewandowski was through on goal in the 75th minute. It was a particularly vital block as Arsenal got the free-kick, which resulted in the first goal in their next foray forward.Other results: BATE 0 Barcelona 2; Bayer Leverkusen 4 Roma 4; Dinamo Zagreb 0 Olympiakos 1; Dynamo Kiev 0 Chelsea 0; Porto 2 Maccabi Tel Aviv 0; Valencia 2 Gent 1; Zenit Petersburg 3 Lyon 1.last_img read more

Kitty vendor stabbed to death during row

first_imgA 22-year-old vendor died at the Georgetown Public Hospital (GPHC) on Monday after he was stabbed during a confrontation in the vicinity of the Stabroek Market.Dead is Richard Noel, a vendor of Lot 39 William Street, Kitty, Georgetown. He was stabbed at about 13:30h on Monday at the Route 41 bus park.Guyana Times understands that Noel and the suspect, a resident of Barr Street, Kitty, had a heated argument during which the stabbing occurred. Noel had reportedly confronted the suspect for assaulting his sister.Dead: Richard NoelInitial Police reports revealed that Noel was stabbed once to the left side of his chest. However, relatives of the now dead man claimed that he was stabbed twice. The dead man’s brother, Tremaine Mc Curdy, told this newspaper that sometime after the incident occurred, someone went to their home and related the news to Noel’s mother, who has been devastated by the loss of her son.“We heard Richard Noel get stabbed twice to his heart. We hear from eyewitnesses that he and one of his friends had a lil talking but he didn’t had no time with the friend and he turn away. The friend rush to he and when he turn around, the friend give he two premeditated jook to he heart and he fall down,” the brother related.According to McCurdy, they were told that his brother was left on the scene, bleeding out for about over 30 minutes before he was finally picked up in an unconscious state and rushed to the GPHC, where he died sometime around 21:00h while receiving medical attention.Mc Curdy further related what he knew of the argument that ensued between his brother and the suspect.“There was a conflict some days ago between Richard’s sister and the [suspect], who confronted the sister on the street a day and they had a talking, and like he hit the girl. So Richard go to confront [the suspect] about what’s the problem between he and his sister, and like they had a hard talking,” the young man explained.He went on to note, however, that he is not sure if that was the reason behind Monday’s confrontation. “I don’t know if it’s why they had the scuffle over or a past scene because the two of them were in jail before so I don’t know if it’s a problem in jail or whatsoever make it happen,” Mc Curdy said.Since the incident, the suspect has reportedly gone into hiding. This publication was told that the Police searched his residence but came up empty-handed. Nevertheless, investigations are ongoing.last_img read more