A U.N. report suggested that French, Chadian and Equatorial Guinea troops were implicated. French President Francois Hollande vowed on Thursday to take stern action against French troops found guilty of child sex abuse in Central African Republic.A U.N. report suggested that French, Chadian and Equatorial Guinea troops were implicated.The allegations, which came to light this week due to an internal U.N. report summarizing interviews with victims, risks damaging the reputation of France’s peacekeeping operations in Africa.Reuters obtained the U.N. report on Thursday, though the Guardian newspaper was the first to report on the charges. The United Nations has defended its decision to hand the evidence over to French authorities from a 2014 investigation of allegations that French military personnel sexually abused children in the Central African Republic.The U.N. Deputy spokesman for the secretary general, Farhan Haq has said that the UN doesn’t try to interfere with countries’ investigative processes.” What we did is through our Human Rights offices in Bangui conduct a human rights investigation in the late spring of 2014. That was in response to a series of allegations of sexual exploitation and abuse of children by French military personnel. We tried to make sure that was followed up on and in fact it is being followed up on. In terms of when it’s being made public, I believe the French authorities have their own way of processing this and you really need to ask them the question of how they disclose this sort of information as they go about this.”Inspite of French President Francois Hollande’s declaration that there would be no mercy for any soldiers found to have abused children in the Central African Republic.There are concerns that this scandal could cost his troops goodwill in the region.There are already mixed reactions to the allegations among those affected by the conflict in the Central African Republic.Authorities in the Central African Republic however feel that it would have been better if the report had been made public.The French government has said it is carrying out two separate investigations into claims that 16 of it’s soldiers abused vulnerable children at a camp for internally displaced people.France sent an initial 1,600 troops to the country in December 2013 after violence flared following a coup.The country descended into ethnic and sectarian violence, with thousands of people fleeing their homes and the UN warning that there was a high risk of genocide.The UN took over and expanded the African peacekeeping mission in September
Press Association Lee Westwood headed the 11 European players in the top 19 after the opening day of the 96th US PGA Championship, but Rory McIlroy was ominously poised on a crowded leaderboard at Valhalla. “The second shot on 10 was actually a bit of a shock, it’s the worst shot I have hit the last few weeks,” McIlroy said after his 66, his 11th consecutive sub-par round. “It came out of the blue and knocked me off track but to come back the way I did was great.” The hype surrounding McIlroy has been intense since he followed his victory at Royal Liverpool with another in the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational on Sunday, with even Jack Nicklaus quoted as saying the 25-year-old could surpass his record of 18 majors. “People are going to get asked about me. They are going to give their opinion. If that’s Jack’s opinion, he has a high opinion of me,” McIlroy added. “I’ve always said I’m on three (majors), I want to get to four. Hopefully I can get to four this week and then keep going from there.” Westwood is still seeking his first major title at the 66th attempt, but also recovered from a double bogey on his 10th hole of the day with five birdies in his last six holes. The 41-year-old had missed the cut in four successive events before a 63 in the final round in Akron last week and said: “Last week was a big week for me. “I felt like I had turned the corner and I was starting to swing it a lot better but that’s no good unless you start converting it into low rounds. “The first three rounds were frustrating because I played a lot better than three over. Then obviously I got it going the final day and shot 63. Westwood equalled his lowest round in any major with an opening 65 to share the lead with American pair Kevin Chappell and Ryan Palmer on six under par. But Open champion Rory McIlroy, seeking his third win in succession and a fourth major title, recovered from hooking his second shot to the 10th out of bounds and three-putting the 11th to birdie the next four holes in succession and record another on the 18th. “I tried to keep it low-key in the practice rounds here, just playing nine holes each day, and carry that momentum through to the first round, which I’ve managed to do.” Italy’s Edoardo Molinari, Sweden’s Henrik Stenson and England’s Chris Wood were alongside McIlroy on five under, with Finland’s Mikko Ilonen four under. Ryder Cup hopefuls Joost Luiten, Ian Poulter and Shane Lowry were all three under along with Danny Willett and Bernd Wiesberger. Sergio Garcia, Justin Rose and Luke Donald finished one under, although Donald had been just one off the lead before dropping four shots in his last five holes.
StumbleUpon Children saw nearly 40% fewer gambling ads in 2017 than they did in 2013 according to the latest report from the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA). The report found that children on average see 2.8 adverts for gambling products a week.The report also found that the levels of children’s exposure to sports-related gambling ads in 2017 were on average of 0.4 ads per week (13% of all gambling ads seen by children) way down on the 2011 figures of 1.0 ads per week (31.5% of all gambling ads seen by children). The ASA report said that this was the lowest level of exposure over the ten year period.Advertising Standards Authority Chief Executive Guy Parker said: “Protecting children has always been at the heart of our regulation. These findings show that in recent years, children’s exposure to TV ads for alcohol, gambling and food and soft drink products high in fat, salt or sugar is declining. We’re not complacent though and we’ll continue to actively monitor and report on this important area of work. Our next focus will be to examine whether the rules are working in the same way online and we’ll report on that later in 2019.”According to the report, Children’s exposure to all TV ads reduced by 29.7% from a peak of 229.3 ads in 2013 to a low of 161.2 ads in 2017. Over the same period, children’s exposure to gambling ads decreased by 37.3%. This suggests that the decline in children’s exposure to all TV ads might account for over three-quarters of the reduction in children’s exposure to TV ads for gambling products. Adults’ exposure levels have not declined appreciably, however, remaining at an average of 14.2 ads per week. This suggests that the overall increase in gambling advertising is being directed away from children considerably and toward adult Audiences.”By setting out the actual level of children’s exposure to TV ads for alcohol, gambling and HFSS products, the ASA says it is seeking to better inform the debate about the effectiveness and the proportionality of the rules that currently restrict their scheduling and content.Other highlights from the report include:Children’s exposure to gambling ads, relative to adults’, has fallen year-on-year from 39% in 2008 to 20% in 2017. That means children see, on average, about one TV ad for gambling for every five seen by adults in 2017Gambling ads made up less than 2% of all the TV ads that children saw on average every year between 2008 and 2017; that equates to approximately 65.2 seconds per weekThe majority of TV ads for gambling that children have seen since 2011 are ads for bingo, lottery and scratchcardsChildren’s exposure to ads for sports-betting has decreased from an average of one ad per week in 2011 to 0.4 ads per week in 2017Given that the level of exposure of gambling ads to children has been falling (particularly for sports betting) it could be questioned whether the ‘whistle to whistle’ voluntary ad ban coming in next season is necessary. This issue will be explored at SBC’s Betting on Football conference in 19-22 March at Stamford Bridge in a session entitled: Sponsorship & Advertising – how much is too much? and featuring input from John Hagan, Chair at the Industry Group for Responsible Gambling (IGRG), Martin Lycka, Director of Regulatory Affairs at GVC Group, Mark Davies, Global Head of Partnerships at Swansea City and Philip Canavan, Director at agency SEM Global.For more information, click here. Submit Share Related Articles Lee Willows, YGAM: Education is central to gambling reform July 9, 2020 Share UK gambling adopts toughest online advertising code to protect underage audiences August 27, 2020 ASA monitoring sweep marks gambling as the worst underage advertising offender August 26, 2020
BiH tennis player Jasmina Tinjić qualified to finals of ITF Tournament in Antalya worth 10 000 USD.Jasmina Tinjić, the first holder of the tournament, defeated Romanian tennis player Bianca Hinca.In first set Tinjić won with 6:2, while in the second it was 6:1.In the finals Tinjić will play against the winner of match of Jovana Jakšić and Laura Ioana Andrei.
NORTHWOOD — It’s 25 years in prison for a Northwood man found guilty of attempted murder after an incident last year.32-year-old Trapp Trotter was accused of stabbing a man from Manly on the night of June 2nd of last year during an incident which happened at the Schoolside Apartments in the 600 block of Seventh Street North in Northwood. The victim suffered multiple stab and slash wounds and was taken to MercyOne North Iowa in Mason City where he was treated and eventually released.Trotter’s trial was moved to Waverly, where a Bremer County jury found him guilty in April of attempted murder and criminal trespass.Trotter was sentenced today to 25 years in prison. Due to attempted murder being a forcible felony, Trotter must serve at least 17-and-a-half years prior to being considered for parole.