US slams surface after 1-0 loss to Arnett

first_imgThe United States’s Under-17 head coach, John Hackworth, was not pleased with the playing surface after his team went down 1-0 to an Arnett Gardens FC Under-20 select team at Jamaica College yesterday. Arnett’s central defender Lemmar Stewart scored from a goal-mouth melee in the 89th minute. “I am not pleased with the surface, we had requested a hard one, but it was also bumpy and uneven and prevented us from playing our football,” Hackworth told The Gleaner at the end of the game. “The surface affected our style of play,” he added. Hackworth said he played against older players as he wanted to test his team as part of their preparation for the upcoming CONCACAF Under-17 championship which serves as a FIFA World Cup qualification.. “It is really important for us as they are 16 year-olds playing against older players. We had two good looks in each half. They had a soft goal from a corner kick,” he  said. “We are not looking at performance, but working on plays,” Hackworth concluded. Coach of Arnett Gardens Jerome Waite described the game as a spirited one. “It was a spirited performance from both teams. I had seen them in the game against Jamaica Under-17s and identified their strengths and weaknesses. We created numerous chances and could have won by a wider margin. It was a good game,” Waite assessed. Arnett got into action early but the pint-sized Damani Deacon missed a clear chance which he booted wide of the goal. The Arnett backline marshalled by former JC winning Manning Cup captain Alando Brown, goalscorer Stewart and Alton Lewis was organised and made few mistakes. Arnett’s goalkeeper Shamarley Clayton was also outstanding and made a point blank save from USA captain George Acosta during the first half. The USA team will close their series of games against the Jamaica Under-17 team tomorrow on Sunday at Winchester Park, St George’s College, starting at 3 p.m. The Jamaicans will seek to avenge the 3-0 loss to the Americans last Wednesday at Stadium East.last_img read more

Relatives of sexually molested 9-year-old still awaiting justice

first_imgMonths later…accused rapist on station bailMore than two months have passed since a man allegedly sexually molested his nine-year-old female relative in the mining town of Linden, Region 10 (Upper Demerara-Berbice), and the alleged paedophile is yet to face the court.The male relative, who is in his 60s reportedly sexually molested the child twice during her weekend visit to her paternal relatives in the month of September.Police Commander of Region 10, Superintendent Hugh Winter, when contacted on Saturday, confirmed that the file in relation to this matter was dispatched to the office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) but that it has not been returned to him to date.However, he is hopeful that the advice on the way forward is communicated to the police soon.Reports are that the child left her residence on September 27 (Friday) to spend the weekend with relatives in the mining town and returned home on September 29 (Sunday) in a withdrawn state.The little girl then told her maternal aunt and other relatives about what transpired during her brief vacation with her relatives.“She said that she loves her aunty but that she cannot go back there [at their home]. She said that the uncle, her aunty’s husband, is a wicked man, she kept saying he is a wicked man when we asked her why she did not want to go back. Then she started telling us one by one what happened to her,” the grandmother had previously told this publication.The elderly woman had explained that the man took her granddaughter along with his two grandchildren to “Blue Water Lake” and a creek in “Buck Town” between Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon under the pretence of teaching the young children to swim.However, he allegedly touched the child’s private parts inappropriately despite the child telling him to stop.last_img read more

British Library to showcase famous Ancient Greek wax tablet used for homework

first_imgThe very first recorded ‘tablet’ made of wax and displaying a child’s Greek homework from 1,800 years ago is to be exhibited at the British Library this year.The artifact, will go on display as part of the Writing: Making Your Mark exhibition between 26 April and 27 August 2019.The ancient tablet, which has been made famous due to a depiction which resembled a laptop, was discovered in Egypt, and showed to perfectly preserved lines carved on wax with a stylus in Greek.The ‘tablet’ features a great example of handwriting, spelling exercises and times tables done as homework by a child estimated to be at the age of eight or nine.According to Tornos News, the tablet will be exhibited for the first time, after having been in storage for the past 40 years.The ancient tablet, which contains remarkable examples of handwriting, spelling exercises and times tables, has been in storage for the past 40 years. Facebook Twitter: @NeosKosmos Instagramlast_img read more