Ohio State mens soccer preview No 18 Buckeyes open with two games

Ohio State sophomore Marcus McCrary (19) dribbles the ball through a group of Michigan players during a soccer game at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium on Nov. 4, 2015. OSU won 3-1. Credit: Lantern File PhotoThe Ohio State Men’s Soccer team will begin its season this Friday, Aug. 26 at 7 p.m. as they take on the Virginia Tech Hokies at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.The first regular season game comes as part of the 11th-annual Bert and Iris Wolstein Classic.  The No. 18 Buckeyes will conclude the weekend-long tournament at home against No. 13 UC Santa Barbara on Sunday, Aug. 28 at 7 p.m. “The guys are excited to get started,” said coach John Bluem. “These preseasons are long and difficult. The guys just want to have a chance to play games that are meaningful and to play here in our stadium where we were very successful last year. We are all looking forward to the opportunity.”The Buckeyes are coming off a Big Ten championship season in which the team finished with a 13-7-3 record (5-2-1 in conference), making it to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament where they lost to future national champion Stanford. Seven starters and 12 letter winners will be returning from last year’s team, including four of their top scorers – Yaw Amankwa, Danny Jensen, Abdi Mohamed, and Christian Soldat. On offense, the four combined for 16 goals and 16 assists in the 2015 season. “We got a lot of new players. We are going to have six new starters or something like that,” senior defender Austin Bergstrom said. “UC Santa Barbara and Virginia Tech are two good teams so it is going to be a good test right off the bat. Hopefully we come out with two wins.”Virginia Tech is coming off a 2015 campaign in which they finished 5-9-3 (0-5-3 in the ACC). They went 2-0 this year in preseason exhibition play, recording wins over East Tennessee State and James Madison. The Hokies are lead by captains Alessandro Mion, Andre Thomas, and Ben Lundgaard. Mion, a redshirt senior defender, was part of a Hokie defense that produced seven shutouts and allowed only 22 goals in the 2014 season. Last season, Mion was fourth on the team in points, assists and shots. He appeared in 11 games, starting 10 of them. Thomas, a redshirt senior midfielder, will be in his third year as captain. He started all but one game last season playing 1,515 minutes for the Hokies. Lundgaard, the junior goalkeeper, made 60 saves in 16 starts a year ago which was good enough for a .732 save percentage and 1.373 goals against average. Through the course of the season he faced 178 shots and tallied three shutouts. “Traditionally [the ACC] is one of the best conferences for soccer in the country so I am expecting some really talented attackers,” senior defender Tyler Kidwell said. “It is going to be a tough game, but I think we had a good day of training today so I think we will be ready to go.”On Sunday, OSU takes on No. 13 UC Santa Barbara at 7 p.m. in the finale of the four-team classic.Coming off a season in which the Gauchos finished with a 14-6-2 record, UCSB coach Tim Vom Steeg is aiming to repeat as victors of the Big West North Division. UCSB is led by senior striker Nick DePuy. The Big West Offensive Player of the Year led the NCAA in 2015 with 15 goals in the regular season, eight of which came as game winners. The Gauchos are undefeated all time in matches when DePuy has scored (16-0-4). While players and coaches alike are excited for the season to begin, they know the road ahead will not be an easy one. “People aren’t going to just walk in here and lie over and die because we are the Ohio State Buckeyes,” Bluem said. “ We are going to have to earn everything we get.” read more

EYEWITNESS Trumped up…

…charges by NagamootooIt’s obvious Moses Nagamootoo’s lost whatever journalistic integrity Janet Jagan might have drilled into him when he’d served under her at the Mirror for donkey years. He’s now been reduced to a journeyman hack-apologist for the PNC Government he boasts he helped put into power. In his latest column in the Chronic, “TRUST AND THE TANGLED TIMES”, he predictably took the opportunity (created by him awarding himself a column while he yanked those of David Hinds and Lincoln Lewis!) to throw shade at Bharrat Jagdeo!This time, it was about the Pradoville II allegations “where key PPP Government officials disgracefully and dishonestly helped themselves to posh residential State land”!! He didn’t mention that the other charges by SOCU that have gone to trial, ALL four have been thrown out!! But why would he…his interest isn’t justice but REVENGE!! He’s happy as a ruminant digging his nose in swill. But more power to him – he has to earn his (very expensive) keep!However, your Eyewitness thinks Nagamootoo crossed the line when he tried to illustrate “PPP corruption” with a section captioned “$20B EARNINGS”: “I would never forget the day when a young man, who was in the leadership of the PPP and had held a senior public service post, walked into my office to tell me that he was being investigated by the Police in relation to monies he had “earned”. “How much money are they looking at?” I asked him. Calmly, he answered: “$24 billion.”Now this is a very nasty allegation to be digging up and phrasing unadulterated hearsay to make it appear the young PS admitted ‘earning’ $24 billion!! Fact of the matter is that this was what SOCU claimed – against the PS’s public statement that it might’ve been the TOTAL REVENUES that passed through his account – but certainly wasn’t what had remained there as profits!If Nagamootoo hadn’t read the reports in his Chronic (maybe he’s nauseated by his own propaganda?!), he definitely would’ve read the 2017 US State Department Report on human rights violations in Guyana issued last November. It stated that while there were accusations of the PS accumulating the billions from “money laundering and tax evasion” as of November “no legal case had been made”. That’s still the situation!But it didn’t stop Nagamootoo from reviving it even as the only charge was for allegations that the young man hadn’t turned over documents to the Court! And was even allowed to proceed to Hugh Wooding to complete his law studies.Maybe Nagamootoo would rather forget the Report because it repeated claims that he had directed that he had to “scrutinise” all Chronic’s headlines?What a tangled web…!…and twisted reportingThe Government’s scared stiff the GTU’s capitulation to their 12% offer versus their 40% demand might still be rejected since it has to be ratified by the membership. So, not surprisingly – since this is the PNC we’re dealing with – the attack dogs have been let loose at those they believe might question the “deal”.But Nagamootoo’s Chronic was really reaching when it solicited a reaction from GTU’s Gen Secretary Coretta McDonald to a Muckraker’s CARTOON!! The cartoon had M Donald listening to the PPP while GTU President Mark Lyte frets that she wants to “strike” even though they got a good deal. Noting that she operates by strict labour principles McDonald stuck it to the Chronic: “Even if I’m aligned to a political party, what’s wrong with that? The Constitution gives us the right to associate and to be a part of, so I don’t know why all of this big fuss and fret and all this big glamour.”But when Lyte was being firm, wasn’t he also accused of being “PPP”??…or trump card?While attacking McDonald for questioning the “deal”, Nagamootoo’s rag steered clear of former PNC MP Vanessa Kissoon, who explicitly questioned the “deal”.She emphasised it ain’t over till it’s over!! Quo vadis, Nagamootoo? Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedEYEWITNESS: Gutless…October 23, 2018In “EYEWITNESS”EYEWITNESS: Where angels fear to tread…January 8, 2019In “EYEWITNESS”EYEWITNESS: Rewriting history…January 29, 2018In “EYEWITNESS” read more